Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
3...h6
04-15-2011, 11:53 PM
3...h6
This might be a bit of a dumb question, but I am interested in hearing other opinions.

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 h6

The chapter on early bishop deviations in, Zuke 'em, is really great, and I've enjoyed playing those lines quite a few times now. But my question is what effect does black playing h6 on move 3 have on these bishop deviation lines? Also how should white respond?

The best I've come up with so far is 4.h3. This is to stop 4...Bg4. The line given in, Zuke 'em, won't work anymore if the black bishop has a bolt hole on h7 already prepared.

Also I'm guessing that 3..h6 makes the transposition into the Elista Slav difficult.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-22-2011, 07:21 PM
RE: 3...h6
(04-15-2011 11:53 PM)Lee Wrote:  This might be a bit of a dumb question, but I am interested in hearing other opinions.

1.d4 d5 2.Nf3 Nf6 3.e3 h6

The chapter on early bishop deviations in, Zuke 'em, is really great, and I've enjoyed playing those lines quite a few times now. But my question is what effect does black playing h6 on move 3 have on these bishop deviation lines? Also how should white respond?

The best I've come up with so far is 4.h3. This is to stop 4...Bg4. The line given in, Zuke 'em, won't work anymore if the black bishop has a bolt hole on h7 already prepared.

Also I'm guessing that 3..h6 makes the transposition into the Elista Slav difficult.

White's most reliable response is probably just 4.c4. If Black plays his Bishop out to g4 or f5, then White will be one more up on the standard counter-attack on the Q-side. If Black goes forward with a more typical QGD, White will be a move up, which should compensate for his lack of preparation.

An alternative idea is to play 4.Nbd2, which should make 4...Bg4 a terrible move. After the more reasonable 4...Bf5, I would recommend White go for an improved version on the old, solid-but-not-inspiring option of a 3-to-2 central pawn majority after 5.Bd3.

This 4.Nbd2 idea is really only for those who want to avoid a QGD-style game and leave open the opportunity for a transposition should Black play nice. However, any player who throws out ...h6 so early is quite unlikely to then play ...e6 before developing his Bishop anyway, so I think it is wishful thinking.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply